THIS POST SURE DESERVES MY COMEBACK

Pushkar being a frequent traveller and taxi fares making my purse lighter, I decided to try my luck in getting a driving licence. In Dubai, getting a driving licence is akin to getting first day first show tickets to Aamir Khan’s movies. Herculean!!!!! Pushkar got his licence on his 5th attempt (he has been driving since 15 years and owns a Saudi licence). So, that’s how difficult it is get a licence here.

Anyway, story of struggle for licence aside, what I actually wanna tell u is…I failed my first Road test and I squarely attribute my failure to the bad coaching I was given by the old Grumpy instructor. The invigilator, who assessed my driving test, had listed 13 faults that I had made. No safe distance between vehicles, does not maintain speed during lane changing, does not follow road signs… are the few from the list. Now, for me to be eligible for the second test I am required to take 8 more classes. Today was my first day with a new instructor and I was hoping with my fingers crossed that I get a good, patient, and a calm person.. Until I drove with him for a couple of kms, I thought, crossing fingers works, for he seemed a right instructor.

I halted for the red signal (u see, I know so much, Y did I fail?) and was distracted by a European couple in the taxi next to us. They seemed to be looking at us and laughing in their sleeves. I thought, its just a figment of my imagination and ignored them. The curious me, looked at them again, they still were looking at us and laughing. I raised myself to look into the mirror but failed to see reasons for the giggle. Looked at my dress, wondering if I had worn it inside out. That wasn’t the reason either; threads were well concealed .Checked in the rear view mirrors if I was within my lane. Was also wondering if they had seen me drive and thought I was a formidable danger to the fellow humans on road. I felt mortified by their unceasing laughter. The windows of both the cars were closed, so, asked them with a lip sync in an animated version, “What is it?
The lady reciprocated in handspeaks, asking me to take a look at my instructor. I turned to him and Lo! He was dozing away in the comfort of my driving. I vowed hence, to refrain my smooth driving skills and give the instructor a bumpy ride.

1 comment:

  1. That was a good one!! Snoozing, eating & yapping are their day to day routine.Please continue with your bumpy rides so that he is wide awake & alert!!
    Getting licence in dxb is truly an Herculan task.After getting my licence on the7th attempt, I screamed out `YAY', couldn't contain my thrill,went home & called the whole world to say that I got my licence....am sure inside their minds would have popped up`what big deal in a licence'!! Only we know what it is!!- jaiya

    ReplyDelete